20 Jul Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
Pregnancy, while a blessing, can be a challenging time for your body. Your body is influenced by multiple pregnancy hormones and the bodily changes from the growing baby. These changes result in the stretching of lower back ligaments and joints to accommodate the baby and prepare the body for labor.
This process can be mildly to extremely uncomfortable. While there are remedies and medications you can try, some people swear by chiropractic care to ease the pain.
How does it help?
Here is why opting for chiropractic care during pregnancy might be a good idea:
- It helps release tension from your joints, which in turn assists in alleviating the pain due to joint stretch. Chiropractic care may also improve the mobility and functionality of your pelvic region since there is less strain on your joints
- It may help reduce nausea and prevent symptoms of morning sickness
- In certain cases, chiropractic care may help to reposition the baby from the breach or other abnormal presentations which reduces the chances of surgical intervention
- With improved joint positioning, chiropractic care may also encourage better sleep in pregnant women by reducing backache symptoms
- The benefits of chiropractic care are not limited to your pregnancy; it may also improve recovery during the postpartum period!
How is it safe for pregnancy?
Chiropractic care is usually considered safe during pregnancy unless you’re told otherwise by your healthcare provider. Some chiropractors are specially trained to deal with pregnancy-related ailments so you can trust them in this time. However, it’s best to get the go-ahead from your healthcare provider before you begin.
There are certain conditions during which chiropractic care may not be a good idea. This can include any high-risk condition during which any kind of manipulation might be harmful to the mother. These could be:
- Recent history of vaginal bleeding
- Morbidly adherent placenta
- Gestational blood pressure or pre-eclampsia
Overall, chiropractic care during pregnancy has shown to provide great results.
When is the best time to see one?
You can usually start chiropractic care whenever you feel like you need it. There is no fixed schedule to do so. However, scheduling your initial appointment during the first trimester might be a good idea so you and your body can get familiar with the concept and see what you like or do not like as you go forward.